Gifted & Talented
At Kings College everyone has a gift and a talent and we have high expectations of everyone in everything we do; however, some students will exhibit a natural ability or talent for a subject and must be extended, enriched, challenged and stimulated to reach his or her potential.
We identify these students in each subject team to ensure that every individual is stretched to their potential across the whole curriculum. Every team has regular discussions to identify and monitor the top 5 -10% of students in their subject.
We cater for these students in a variety of ways:
- Students are placed into appropriate teaching groups wherever possible.
- Work is differentiated and enrichment and extension activities are provided in class, ensuring individual needs are catered for.
- Gifted and Talented Taster Days of cross-curricular activities designed to stretch their skills and critical thinking abilities
- Close monitoring of progress against expected outcomes.
- Different curriculum pathways for students of differing ability with the opportunity for early entry to exam courses where appropriate.
- Students’ work is showcased through displays around the College, on the website, or at live performances in assembly/special events.
- Wide music opportunities and strong focus on performing.
- Students are offered help and advice for access to further study outside of College time (e.g. at Surrey University, Guildford College, Theatre Groups etc.) as well as appropriate career advice.